Checklist for Choosing a Facility
Although a facilities medical services are vital to the decision-making process, there are some other important aspects of a healthcare facility that should be kept in mind.
Listed below are some questions that you may find helpful:
- Do they offer admissions 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?
- Is the facility clean?
- Do the services and amenities meet the needs of your loved one?
- Is the staff is attentive to residents’ needs? Are they courteous?
- Are there activity programs interesting? Do they encourage community involvement?
- Is the food appetizing? Are residents offered a choice of meals?
- Is the dining atmosphere pleasant?
- Are the building(s) and grounds well-maintained?
- Is family involvement encouraged and supported?
- May family members may visit at any time?
- Are the residents’ rooms comfortable and well-lit?
- Is the environment “home-like”?
- Do residents have access to a phone and/or phone hook-up?
- Is there a focus on dignity and quality of life?
- Is the residents’ privacy is protected?
- Are the rates are competitive?
- Does the facility offer pre-admission and financial counseling?
- Does the facility have Therapy 7 days per week?
- What is the 5 star rating for Quality?