Covenant Care Healthy Lifestyles - April 2021
If you find personal finances confusing, you’re not alone. Only 55% of U.S adults are financially literate, or have the skills and knowledge required to make informed and effective decisions around their finances. Furthermore, only 17% of high school students were required to take one or more semesters of personal finance. Now some good news: April is Financial Literacy Month and comes with a bevy of free tools to help you master your finances! What started as Youth Financial Literacy Day in 2000 has grown into a monthlong observance intended to promote free tools and opportunities for youth and adults to improve the state of their personal finances one step at a time.
MyMoney.gov is a free website chartered by the Federal Financial Literacy and Education Commission and intended to increase access to financial services for all Americans. My Money Five developed the My Money Five Principles to help guide your daily money decisions and help you save for the future.
The Five Principles
- EARN: Understand your pay and benefits to make the most out of every paycheck.
- SAVE & INVEST: Learn how to save for your future financial goals, whether that be retirement, paying off debt or buying your first home.
- PROTECT: Protect yourself from financial fraud and hardships by accumulating emergency savings and having the right insurance.
- SPEND: Be an informed consumer by knowing what to look for when shopping around for the best price.
- BORROW: Sound borrowing habits put you in the driver’s seat when borrowing money for large expenses like a house, car or education.
Check out these online resources and Apps
Acorn makes saving a breeze, just connect your credit card with the Acorn app and Acorn will automatically round up your purchase and invest the difference in a roundup account. Visit https://www.acorns.com/ to get started.
Click here to access free online calculators, budget worksheets, and other helpful resources for making financial decisions.
Welcome to Principal, Covenant Care’s new financial wellbeing and 401K partner
Free Webinar Series – Webinars are held the third Wednesday of every month, 9 a.m. PST
Financial education in under 30 minutes
Your financial goals are unique and so is your path to get there. Our award-winning* webinar series is here to help along the way. In less than 30 minutes, you can learn more about a financial topic that matters to you.
Register for an upcoming webinar or catch up on your time with a library of replays.
This month’s Webinar
Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 9:00 a.m. PST
Reassessing finances after a market downturn
It’s been a little more than a year since the pandemic changed our way of life and caused the stock markets to become volatile. Let’s take a look at your accounts to make sure they still align with your financial goals moving forward—especially if your goals and needs have changed. We’ll also cover contributions, rebalancing, and strategies that could help manage stock market volatility in the future. Register to join us and learn more.
- Expanding and protecting savings
- Debt and emergency savings (also in Spanish)
- HSAs and health care
- Reassessing finances after a market downturn
- Investing how-to
- Women and people of color
- Protecting assets and leaving a legacy (also in Spanish)
- Nearing retirement checklist
- Saving for college and student loans
- Estate planning
- Year-end tax prep and tax reform
- Social Security
Can’t make an upcoming webinar? View a replay anytime at Principal.com LearnNowOnDemand
Winner of the 2020 IMEA Star Awards, Participant Webinars, Experiential Education category, large asset level.
Topics and dates are subject to change.
Insurance products and plan administrative services are provided through Principal Life Insurance Company, a member of the Principal Financial Group®, Des Moines, Iowa 50392.
PT436A-09 | © 2020 Principal Financial Services, Inc. | 12/2020 | 1435367-122020
Brought to you by Cal HOPE
Wherever you are, whenever you need to talk with someone, CalHOPE is here.
Connect with Cal HOPE by chat or phone.
Live Chat or call (833) 317-HOPE (4673)
Together for Wellness
Mental Health and Wellness Tips for Today
We’ve collected a bunch of resources to help support your ongoing wellness during these times. Choose a guide to get started here
Losing somebody is never easy. But it can be especially hard when isolated. Here are some healthy ways to grieve and talk with loved ones about their loss.
- 10 Things that are okay to say to someone who is grieving View This Resource
Read this guide for pointers on talking to someone who just lost a loved one.
- Apart of Me- With the help of a guide, children and adults can play this game to help them cope with the loss of a loved one. View This Resource
Translate COVID.org – View This Resource
Visit this helpful site offered in 40 languages for information on COVID-19 symptoms, tips for caring for someone with COVID-19, guides for using face masks, and resources for helping you prevent the spread of the illness.
Source: Cal HOPE – Together for Wellness https://calhope.semel.ucla.edu/
Family Health/Working Parent Support
Keep the Kids Active
Being at home 24/7 with kids can be a real challenge. Here are some great ways to keep them entertained, educated, and give you a moment to breathe.
Child Stress during COVID-19 Pandemic. Brought to you by Cal HOPE
Watch for tips to help parents and caregivers manage children’s fears and stress during COVID
Carrier News & Views
Updates on the COVID 19 Vaccine
For COVID-19 Information and updates from Kaiser, visit:
For COVID-19 Information and updates from Anthem, visit:
COVID 19 Resource Center
Grown Up Grilled Cheese
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp white cheddar cheese
- 8 (1 1/2-ounce) slices hearty white bread
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
- 6 slices center-cut bacon, cooked
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 1 cup onion and garlic; cook for 10 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over each of 4 bread slices. Top each slice with 1/2 cup spinach, 2 tomato slices, 2 tablespoons onion mixture and 1 1/2 bacon slices. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese; top with the remaining 4 bread slices.
Heat skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Place sandwiches in pan, and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese melts.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 376 calories; fat 11g; saturated fat 5.3g; mono fat 4.8g; poly fat 0.6g; protein 20.2g; carbohydrates 50.3g; fiber 3.3g; cholesterol 24mg; iron 2.9mg; sodium 876mg; calcium 308mg
- Headspace Meditation App
Free section- Weathering the Storm- to learn more, click here
- Calm Meditation App
Free section for all, to access, click here
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)- from UNUM & Health Advocate. We are here for you 24/7 – 1-800-854-1446; www.unum.com/lifebalance – The EAP can help provide COVID-19 support, grief counseling, stress/anxiety relief, and more, and is available to all employees
- Medical Bill Saver Advantage via your EAP – 1-800-854-1446; www.unum.com/lifebalance and is available to all employees
- For the latest on COVID 19– CDC website at www.cdc.gov/coronavirus
- Your Financial Life Matters (Wells Fargo) – For more help, click here or call 1-844-258-7773 for a complimentary savings or credit conversation and receive a personalized plan. Representatives are available Monday through Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time
- Calm Meditation App
Full access free for Kaiser Members click here
Free to Kaiser Permanente members
to help support their emotional well-being.
Members can simply go to kp.org/selfcareapps and click ‘Get Started’ to register and use myStrength on their desktop, tablet or smartphone.
- Class Pass – Learn More
- Kaiser Coronavirus Hotline (available 24/7) – (877) 813-7297. After speaking with a Kaiser Permanente representative, you will be directed to the appropriate care options.
- Kaiser’s COVID-19 Information and updates visit: CORONAVIRUS/COVID-19: Learn how to protect yourself and get care
- Kp.org is a valuable resource for information and member communications, as well as a link to any telehealth services. If you havenâ€™t already done so, please register on kp.org. https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/register
- Kaiser Members- Getting Care: It’s important to contact KP before coming in. Members should call the Appointment and Advice Call Center if they are feeling sick. They will be guided through a specific screening protocol over the phone. Depending on the answers provided, the member will be directed to the most appropriate care, while protecting other members, patients and employees.
- Kaiser Drive Up: Drive up testing is accessible by physician referral/order only. If drive-up testing is available nearby, members will be notified of the appropriate arrangements.
- Kaiser Virtual Care – Manage your care with kp.org
No matter what life throws your way, you can connect to care where and when you want it. E-visits, telephone, and video appointments are simple and secure ways to get care and save yourself an office visit. They even be tracked in your electronic health record. All you need is a computer, smartphone, or mobile device. Click here to get access to care.
- Kaiser Members- access to E-visits- Log in at kp.org/appointments or go to Get Care on the KP mobile app
- Anthem Coronavirus Information – www.anthem.com/ca/coronavirus
- Anthem Sydney Care mobile app. Download the Sydney Care mobile app from the App Store® or Google Play click here to learn more
- Anthem Member Symptom Assessment
Find out what your symptoms may mean by answering five quick questions. This tool uses guidelines issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Anthem/Aunt Bertha social support services
Our partnership with Aunt Bertha provides you with a solution to help connect you and your family to social services in your communities if you need it. You can find services such as help with food, housing, job training, and transportation by visiting Aunt Bertha and entering your ZIP code.
- Anthem Skill – Ask Alexa for your health plan info.
Get quick, hands-free help with the Anthem Skill. Whether you need a new ID card or get curious if you’re about to reach your deductible, just say the words, “Alexa, ask Anthem…” to get quick answers about your health plan. The Anthem Skill works through Alexa-ready devices, like an Amazon Echo or on your mobile device using the Amazon Alexa app.
Enable the Anthem Skill today!
- To learn more about RxBenefits™ response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) including access to early refills and retail shipping options click here
Live your best life!
Director, Human Resources and Benefits
Covenant Care California, LLC